Monday, July 15, 2013

Dukan Moo Shu Turkey (it's Paleo too!)


We loved this recipe!

I should say, we loved the taste of this recipe, but boy was it time consuming!  While I prepped the meal I told the male half of this couple, I don't think I want to make this again...it took me a while to
clean the bean sprouts (we clean each piece).  Plus I was prepping veggies and fruit for breakfast at the same time.  Just seemed like I was standing at our sink for hours.

We found this recipe on an about.com site.  I haven't eaten plum sauce for several years -- ever since I started trying low carb and low sugar diets...so we didn't try the sugar free plum sauce recipe -- if you try it, let us know how it was!

After tasting the dish, I announced I would be willing to make this again...maybe I need to look into growing our own bean sprouts.  By the time bean sprouts hit our markets, the ends are mostly
brown.

For this dish, we used some carved turkey, but you can use chicken if you wish.

RECIPE:
Serves 2-4
Prep time: 30 minutes + (depends on what kind of veggies you use and how you end up cleaning your veggies)
Cook time: 8-10 minutes

Marinade:
3 T. Tamari gluten free soy sauce
1/2 T. sesame oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 t. fresh grated ginger
1/2 t. Chinese Five Spice Powder

Other ingredients:
1 lb. turkey, cut into thin strips (we used precooked, but you can use raw turkey or chicken)
2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 T. fresh grated ginger
6 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
1 c. sliced green onions
4 c. sliced cabbage (we used Napa, about 1/2 inch strips)
8 oz. bean sprouts
1 T. Tamari gluten free soy sauce
1/2 T. sesame oil

Mix together marinade in a large ziploc bag.  Add turkey and mix to coat.

Have your other ingredients ready, this will cook pretty quickly.   Heat a large wok over medium-high heat.  NOTE: Because we used precooked turkey, we added it in last just to heat it.  If you are using raw meats, stir fry your meats first until they are just about cooked, then remove from wok and set aside.  Add sesame oil to wok, then the celery, garlic and ginger.  Saute for one minute.

Add vegetables in this order, stir frying each for about 1-2 minutes after each addition:  mushrooms, green onions, cabbage, bean sprouts.  Add the soy sauce and turkey with marinade.  Toss to combine.

Serve as is or you can try about.com's sugar-free plum sauce recipe.

Enjoy...we sure did!



No comments:

Post a Comment